May 15, 2012

Editing continued – The beginning.


Continuing on the previous post, I have tried to edit Book I before, but I always get distracted by some other life event and never finish, so when I decided to make commitment to editing this whole book, the first thing I did was to make a check list of the chapters. This has helped in so many ways. First, I can’t really lose my place. Second, I get the satisfaction of checking another box at the completion of each chapter. Third, it breaks the vast project into manageable chunks. As someone said, “How do you each an elephant? One piece at a time.” And finally, it gives me a kind of progress bar where I could pat myself on the back when I need a little encouragement.

Now, I have been meaning to edit for a long time and some years ago, I even made a check list for each chapter. This checklist included both my own known failings in writing (such as the overuse of that) and advice from various sources, such as SFWA advice pages. Interestingly enough, I wrote the check list so long ago that I didn’t remember the meaning of some of the things on the list. So I set out to edit.

Step 1 – Speed read the chapter. Do not stop. Do not edit. Do not criticize. The idea was to get the whole chapter in my head as a complete unit before I started any editing. That was a hard thing to learn.

Step 2 – Rewriting each chapter, trying to fill in the sparse description, changing the action from telling to showing and recontracting words. (In my desperation to meet my first Nanowrimo word count, I changed can’t to can not along with all the other contractions. Needless to say, it makes the resulting language awkward, but it did the job.)

Step 3 – Go through the checklist and rework the text according to the rules. This step takes as long as Step 2 even though it seems like it should go quickly. The really tedious part is searching for each of the words and evaluating them in the text. It was so tempting to quit sometimes and just check that word off. Especially the ones I didn’t know why they were there. Words ending in –ing for example. It took me a couple chapters to figure it out. Usually I would have a phrase such as ‘He was jumping’, but it should be written as ‘He jumped.’ Anyway, even though it was ridiculously tedious to search for every word, each time I found a place where I could improve my writing, it felt like a victory. I also tell myself that I would eventually be better at writing the first draft because of this tedious editing process. To date, I have found it to be true, at least in the case of my over use of ‘that.’ But, it doesn’t mean you have to eliminate every instance of a ‘bad’ word. Use your judgment. You are asking yourself if there is any better way to write this. If not, then fine, but you have to examine it to make sure you have done your best.

Step 4. Check the chapter off this progress list and do a little pookie pookie dance.

So, as I moved through the first quarter of my book, I found that despite my editing process my writing felt a little dead at times. That was pretty discouraging. Want to know how I cured it? Tune in next blog to find out. Happy editing for all the writers out there and if there are any non writers reading, never think that pure gold pours from brilliant minds onto the screen. I wish. No, it starts out like building a house. First you muck about in the dirt for a while before you pour a bunch of slop into a form that you hope hardens into some sort of foundation. Then the real work begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment